Skincare Tips for ALL Seasons!
How to care for your skin all-year-round!
The skin is the largest organ of the body – yes it IS an organ, just like the liver and the heart! The face is the first part of you anyone sees, and is actually your identity to the world. No matter what time of the year it might be, your skin needs every-day attention to stay radiant and healthy. Not everyone has the same skin type, and different kinds of skin types will require different care protocols. It is not only the face which needs special care, but also the rest of the body.
If you want to keep dry, flaky skin at bay, then you need to use a body moisturizer each and every day, no matter what the season. The key to success is to establish, and keep to, a regular skincare routine and most importantly, use weather-appropriate products. In the winter there would no sense in using light summer creams when the body skin might be extra dry, and be in need of the thicker moisturizing products necessary for cold, windy winter days. If you are unsure which products will be suitable, a competent beautician should be more than able to give you the correct advice.
The four seasons
Here are some basic rules to follow for each season, bearing in mind that the severity of the seasons in different parts of your country may vary quite a lot. Take action with regard to the climatic conditions where you stay.
- The most important thing to remember in the warm, sunny days of summer, is to always use a good sunscreen lotion when going out into the sun for any length of time. Ultra violet rays, also known as UV rays are very dangerous and long exposure without sun protection cream, can do a lot of harm to the skin. This includes a high risk of skin cancers, and promotes premature aging which is a long-term side effect of sunburn.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, be it on face or body, use a high sun protection cream factor like SPF 30, and apply often, especially if in the pool or on the beach.
- Use a good moisturizer during the hot summer months, opting for one which will allow your skin to breathe naturally. Deep cleanse your face often to open and clear pores which may have become clogged by dirt and sweat.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the glare which could make you screw up your eyes against the sun. Fine lines tend to develop around the eyes if this happens.
- The bottom line is to keep your skin hydrated, and take the occasional bath with added coconut oil to nourish your skin.
RELATED: Best Homemade Moisturizers For Acne Prone, Oily & Dry Skin Video
- When the weather begins to cool and the time has arrived to get out the jeans and jerseys, it does not mean that you should take a break from your body skincare routine. Continue with the basics of the summer, except for one or two changes.
- Opt for a new body-cleanser, and put away the light gels of summer. Go instead for a creamy, deeply moisturizing body-wash.
- If you use a scrub which is water-based, an oil-based scrub is perfect for fall, or autumn. You will get the bonus of hydrating oils while exfoliating.
- Keep analysing your facial skin and if it suddenly seems dry, consider a stronger, yet gentle, moisturizer.
- Sensitive skin is susceptible to temperature changes, the wind, and even sun exposure, can do damage in the fall. It is therefore still necessary to use SPF 15 or 30 when going out into the sun. Sensitive skin can become inflamed and irritated very quickly. Choose natural or organic products which are high in anti-inflammatory ingredients, and rich in potent antioxidants, to nourish your face and body as winter approaches.
Continue to Page 2