What Sets The Mediterranean Diet Apart From The Rest?
But one entry that shows up in the top 3 every year is the lesser-known Mediterranean Diet. How is it so popular when most people know so little about it? One of the reasons it is less familiar amongst the perennial dieter is that it’s not so much of a weight loss plan as it is a healthy way of eating for life.
How Does the Mediterranean Diet Differ from Other Weight Loss Plans?
1. There are fewer restrictions
Most eating programs that focus primarily on losing weight seem to have some type of restriction such as a specific number of calories, a set amount of carbohydrates, or little to no fats. The Mediterranean Diet has a specific focus but it is much more relaxed in what you can and cannot eat.
2. The Focus is more on health than on weight loss
While there is no disputing that for many people even a small weight loss will result in a healthier body, the Mediterranean Diet produces health benefits whether you are following it to lose weight or not. Most physicians recommend this eating plan to their patients for the following reasons:
- It’s heart healthy.
- It has been recognized for lowering blood pressure.
- The plant-based program is rich in anti-inflammatory foods which results in a lower rate of cancer.
- Provides a safe way to maintain stable and reduced blood sugar levels for those with type 2 diabetes.
- Has been proven to reduce the risks of Alzheimer’s, dementia, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Coupled with an exercise program it does provide an opportunity for weight loss without a high level of deprivation.
Continue to Page 2